Edition :First Edition
Price : US$ 13Email To Friend
This anthology is a compendium of essays on Contemporary Indian English and Regional Drama translated and published by Sahitya Akademi, tracing angst and hope that their characters experience in their lives. Angst or anxiety draws our attention to the origin and meaning of evil. Hope becomes meaningful in the context of anxiety, dread or despair. Angst and hope are part and parcel of human existence. If life is to be lived purposefully, it calls for an integration of these two aspects in life.
All the Dramatists have acontributed to a great extent to the genre with their different sense and sensibilities, such as: <b>Vijay Tendulkar, Mahesh Dattani, Satish Alekar, Mahesh Elkunchwar, Girish Karnad, Sriranga, C.C. Pai, Kikkeri Narayan, Himesh Rattan, Sant Singh Sekhom, Hasmukh Baradi, Hrusikesh Panda, Arjun Deo Charan, Meera Kant, D.P.Sinha, G.C. Tongbra, T.P. Sukumaran, Manoj Mitra, P. Balachandran, K.S. Sreenath, Lakshmi Narayan, Balwant Gargi, Arun Sarma<b/> and others, exploring human predicament in its multiple dimensions. Some have been very articulate in expressing their anguish, others more metaphorical; yet all of them have given realistic expression to their thoughts and feelings in their plays.
Dr. A.J. Sebastian SDB : Dr. A.J. Sebastian SDB (b.1953) is Professor in the Department of English, Nagaland Central University, Kohima Campus, Meriema. A Gold medallist in M.A.(1988), he was awarded Ph.D (1992) in the poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins. The research was undertaken in collaboration with the G.M. Hopkins' Centre at the Gonzaga University, Spokane, U.S.A. He also holds a P.G. Diploma in Psychological Counselling.
His major publications include: Aesthetic and Religious Quest in the Poetry of G.M. Hopkins (1994); Musings : A First Book of Verse (1996); My Travels: My Teacher (1998); Literary Terms in Poetry, (co-authored 2001); Literary Terms in Drama , Theatre & Cinema, (co-authored 2002), Literary Terms in Fiction & Prose (co-authored 2004). The Poetry of G.M. Hopkins: An Ecological Study (2009), Quest for Identity in Contemporary Indian English Drama (2011), Quest for Identity in Contemporary Indian English Fiction and Poetry (2011), Prosaic Musings: Nagaland University Anthology of Prose, Short Stories and Writing Skills (co-edited 2012) and Wings of Poesy: Nagaland University Anthology of Poetry (co-edited 2012). He has authored over 90 papers and articles for Nationals and International Journals and Anthologies. His interests include Indian Writing in English with special reference to the Literature of the North East India.
1. Familial Degeneration in Vijay Tendulkar's Gidhade (The Vultures)
2. Exploitation of Women in Vijay Tendulkar's Kamala
3. Assessing Relationships in Mahesh Dattani's Where There is a Will
4. Mahesh Dattani's Thirty Days in September: A Saga of Child Sexual Abuse
5. Dynamics of Corruption in Satish Alekar's Pidhijat (Dynasts)
6. Sexual Oppression in Satish Alekar's Mickey and the Mamsahib
7. Living in Absurdity in Mahesh Elkumchwar's Garbo
8. Mahesh Elkunchwar's Reflection: A Study in Loss of Identity
9. Girish Karnad's Wedding Album: An Overview
10. Social Realism in Sriranga's Agnisakshi
11. Nurturing the Bitter Past in C.G. Pai's Playing at Trains
12. Ecophilosophy in Kikkeri Narayana's Wild Fowl and a Pair of Peacocks
13. Weapons of Destruction in Himesh Rattan's Faisla Kal Hoga
14. Love and Jealousy in Sant Singh Sekhom's Fate
15. Hasmukh Baradi's janardan-joseph: A Study in Manipulation
16. Mingling of Human and Non-human Elements in Hrusikesh Panda's God-Demon
17. Arjun Deo Charan's Jatra: An Allegory
18. Meera Kant's Nepathya Raag in the Wings: A Study in Male Domination
19. D.P. Sinha's The King of Mathura: A Megalomaniac's Story
20. Assessing T.P. Sukumaran's Lord Ayanchery: A Cucumber Play
21. Manoj Mitra's The Tale of Hekim-Shaheb
22. Appearance and Reality in P. Balachandran's Poor Usman
23. K.S. Sreenath's The Stone Idols: A Play about a Play
24. Assessing G.C. Tongbra's Taj Mahal
25. Psycho-Moral Predicament in Lakshmi Narayan Misra's Vermillion on Fire (Sindoor Ki Holi)
26. Breaking Free from Superstitions in Balwant Gargi's Kuari Tisi (The Virgin Peak)
27. Identity Crisis in Arun Sarma' s The Wolf Man